Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sad Mario Greco is Sad - GDW Progress 1


First cue music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ4gvv-k6xs

Mario Greco is sad. Not because some prick ruined his day, not because his imaginary friend ditched him. It's because Mario has been lazy the past week and didn't get much homework done.

Okay three sentences in and I'm already sick of speaking in third person.

Basically I've had repressed thoughts creep up on me again, and prevented me from getting schoolwork accomplished the past week. It consisted of repetitive click motions on Facebook and Twitter, which likely has little impact on developing a healthy social life. Having Valentine's Day tomorrow which reminds me of my 20 year streak of being single doesn't help either. So guess what? Now I have to work my ass off this coming week, conserving my position in solitary confinement even more.

What might my schedule consist of? Hmm... Accounting assignment, Graphics PGM parser assignment, Game design Assignment, some business game pitch assignment, lots of books to read (despite me being a slow reader). Oh yeah of course, there's also my Game Development Workshop (GDW) game, which is an entire video game I have to create with five other classmates by the end of March. Apparently there's some looming milestone for it that's due soon that I'm not too aware of. Fantastic! Where is my GDW game at now?



It's just code. That's it. As you can tell, I am the lead coder of the game, and there's a ton of work still to do. I also need to be more on top of what my other group members have accomplished, making me a bad leader. So how could we have "nothing" accomplished when all game dev students were supposed to have a working game last semester?

It's because I left my old group (for reasons I don't want to state right now) for a new group that didn't have much material to begin with. So great, unlike other students we have to start from scratch, and making an entire game takes a long time; so it's not like one of those assignments that can be completed the night before it's due. It needs to be built over time. But given other incomplete assignments and stupid resurfaced thoughts, my progress has not been well recently. All my game can do right now is recognize mouse and keyboard functions, input sound, input textures, and switch between "2D mode" and "3D mode". That's it. Pathetic.

So here's my plan of getting my stuff done:
1) Accounting assignment (due Wednesday)
2) PGM assignment (due some time very soon)
3) Design Assignment (due next Monday)
4) GDW Milestone 2 (apparently due next week)
5) Business Game Pitch (due God knows when)
6) Read books, read lectures.
7) Study for midterms.

Oh yeah I forgot, midterms are coming in two weeks, and I have to sign up for them too. It's nice to have reading week next week, but we all know that reading week is also known as "catch the %$^& up week". I also plan to make two YouTube videos during that week, very important ones at that. You may be wondering why I'd put those two YouTube videos in the middle of schoolwork rush hour. It's because one has to deal with promoting the game that I've spent half a year developing on my spare time to people across the internet, to hopefully get my name out there in the game industry. The other one has to do with myself, why I'm eccentric, and often (yet unintentionally) reclusive. That video is meant for people who know me personally, as well as those in the game industry to understand who I am so that they won't be caught off guard by my true nature. Both videos are very important to me, and I need to complete them as soon as possible. However, with school and homework in the way, I feel like I'm trapped in some constant loop.

Anyway, that's my sad story. Give me all the sarcastic "boo hoo's" you want, because I know it's not the saddest story in the world, however it ticks me off, and I can't wait to have everything I want complete, to be complete. Everyone wish me luck, and now it's time to get things done. Thanks for reading! :)

3 comments:

  1. Dude. Not cool.

    Seriously, where were you going with that last picture? I would not consider that to be an appropriate photo or caption on any level, especially for an academic blog. If you want to make edgy games and pitch them to your peers, fine. But in this is just crossing lines that need not be crossed, even in an industry as relaxed as ours.

    Think about what you are posting next time, or maybe even consider revising this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture has to do with my future video. Please don't assume I'm an asshole like the man who made that picture did for all people with autism. That previous sentence alone should provide you with an idea of what I mean with that picture.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Comment below: